Oct 2, 2017

A Fruitless Discussion

Can we sit down together and talk
About the thing that has us all in shock.
I think that something must be done
About the situation with the guns.
All this violence, all this death
All these innocents and their final breath.
I have to believe that this was not the intent,
This can't be what the founding fathers meant.
All this tragedy, this harm
Was what they meant to "bear arms?"
Oh here we go ahead, dear Lord
This argument makes me so bored.
Every time someone gets nicked
The whole issue gets politicked.
I'm an American, you Commie pink
I can't believe that you think
You'll ever take my guns away.
You will die that very day.
I need my guns to protect what's mine
And hunt the ducks and deer so fine.
I understand, I really do
I don't want to take them away from you.
I just want to ask, between you and me
When was the last time that you did see
A hundred deer storm from their den
So you needed bullets that never end?
Those founding fathers couldn't know
How damaging these guns could grow.
I don't care what you try to say
You're trying to take my guns away.
Guns don't kill people, people do
That's a maxim that is always true.
They also use poison and use knives
Do we ban those to save some lives?
If I really want someone to die
I don't need a gun to kill that guy.
That may be true, but let me be clear
We have a situation here.
There are too many shooting sprees
To even count, unless more than three
Lives are taken in the event.
Even you have to consent
Things have gotten quite out of hand
Some types of weapons must be banned.
I will not agree, you can't make me
Now go away, go hug a tree.
I've had enough of this dumb talk
Excuse me now, I'm going to walk.
Columbine!
Oh here we go...
I'll start with it; it's not the first
But it was certainly one of the worst.
Back in Nineteen Ninety Nine
It's kind of where we draw the line
When this type of thing became much more
When it could happen right next door
Sixty shootings in the three decades before
In the next two decades, almost three hundred more
Blame Marilyn Manson for those two
And the Matrix also added too.
See, these things have always been around.
They were just kept more underground.
They didn't have the internet
To get the people all upset.
We've done this one, don't waste my time
I won't discuss Columbine
If that was the one and only school
Where this happened, I'd accept your rule.
But there were more, and offices
And churches and even parties, yes.
They weren't all affected by movies
Or crazy music. Can't you see?
These were expected, in this land.
Not everyone has nice things planned.
You've got some people filled with hate
And others who got spurned on a date.
They stole the guns or found them hid
The guns didn't do it - the people did.
Virginia Tech in Two Thousand Seven
Youngstown State in Two Oh Eleven
And Illinois, and Arkansas
And Alabama - they all saw
College students on their campus
They shouldn't have to deal with this.
Universities? That's your plan?
The most liberal bastions in the land?
They are out of control at every rate
And have been - remember Kent State?
That was back in sixty six
Colleges can't be thrown in this mix.

Aurora's movie theatre
That guy was crazy, I'm quite sure
Arizona's congresswoman then?
That doesn't count - 'twas a politician.


In DC at the Navy Yard?
Within our own military guard?
And twice at the Army's Foot Hood.
You cannot tell me this is good.
The military is what you show?
You can't use them, don't you know.
They're trained to kill everyone
And you will NEVER get their guns.
Sandy Hook Elementary
Try to explain that one to me
Little kids.  That's just wrong
You can't keep your stance for long
Never happened, don't you see?
It was a media conspiracy.
There is no proof, go check online.
You must be out of your mind.

The Charleston church is another one
Some maniac who has a gun
Or what about in Ferguson? 
Minnesota? What can be done?
 I knew you'd try to throw in race.
Which is the answer in each place.
That part of our society
Speaks only violence, can't YOU see?
They live like thugs, they get lazy
Right and wrong gets quite hazy.
It is the culture that needs the flack.
It is expected - I mean, they're black.

How about San Bernandino?
Muslims.  You know how they go.
What about the one in Orlando?
Gay people.  If someone has to go...

What about Las Vegas then?
I doubt even you can begin
To justify what happened there.
I'm sure that by now you're aware.
The details still are coming in,
But what we've heard is very grim.
Over five hundred hurt as they tried to hide
Nearly sixty people have now died.
The guns were purchased legally
The plan was carried out easily.
How can you possibly try to say
That all of this is still okay?
It was so tragic, I agree
You won't find arguments from me.
The guy was evil, what can I say?
His dad a criminal back in the day.
But it was hidden deep inside
From even his family he could hide.
So how were we supposed to know
Just when this nutter was gonna blow?
Even with some stricter laws
Nothing about him gave us pause.
So, no, we shouldn't limit guns.
We'll talk again with the next one.




Data on history of mass shootings in America were obtained through
Stanford Mass Shootings in America, courtesy of the Stanford Geospatial Center and Stanford Libraries

2 comments:

hitaakademi said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
paola castini said...

Testimonianza di un prestito in 24 ore per il vicino a una signora cristiana e molto seria, vorrei informarvi che a seguito di molte pubblicazioni del record di banche come sta cercando di prestito per più di 2 anni ho avuto il mio prestito di 23000 € tra particolare attraverso questa signora MANECCHI può aiutare come me,che sono nel bisogno esso è raggiungibile indirizzo e-mail: silvia19manecchi75 @ gmail . com
whatsapp +33644669624