Jan 1, 2008

KING SIZED BLOGS: Best and Worst of 2007 - MOVIES II

I forgot one major thing I wanted to put on the movies post. So just imagine that you have transported yourself over there for a second, and then come back. Then get ready for Greg's scathing response.

DIDN'T WE ALREADY DO THIS TREND, YOU KNOW, BACK IN THE 1980s
SUPERBAD, KNOCKED UP, WALK HARD - I have seen none of those films, even though two of them were two of the biggest of the year. Moments looked funny in the previews. And a couple times, when I was by myself and deciding on a movie, I nearly went. But... These movies are disgusting. They pride themselves on "bringing back the crude and crash comedies" to the cineplex. I know I am in a minority, but I actually lost respect for every person who has contributed to this trend. And I know that puts me in danger when Will Ferrell's Semipro comes out next year, but I don't need to see that junk. Call me a Puritan. Call me a Bible thumper. Whatever. Back in the 80s, there was an explosion of movies like this. You had Porky's, Meatballs, Animal House. And then there were the horrible sequels and knockoffs. Then for years, comedy was dominated by idiots doing ridiculous things, almost cycling back to the Age of Slapsticks and Pitfalls (Jim Carrey, Mike Myers, Chris Farley). Now we have come back to "intelligent comedies." Why is it that for it to be intelligent and adult, it has to be filthy? Entertainment Weekly even went so far as to name Judd Apatow the smartest person in Hollywood - over Speilberg, Will Smith, George Clooney, Jerry Bruckheimer. All I know is that when I see "Judd Apatow" on a movie poster, I pick something else.

Okay, got that off my chest. Look for Greg's movie response soon. And then I'll have one more post on the Best and Worst of Media - which will include books, technology, and music.

No comments: