Jul 20, 2006

Burn Baby Burn

You know what I think has to be one of the most overrated things ever? The heat. I don't mean the Miami Heat - although I DO hate them, which you can read about in my award winning blog. I mean the heat in general. Who the heck decided that sitting in scorching temperatures is a good idea for a vacation? We have been in St. Augustine all week. Yes, it has been fun and we have had a good time, but one thing that just sucks is the oppressive heat.

This morning I went out to watch the sunrise with Heather's uncle. After the whole thing was done, I turned to him and said, "Now in two minutes it will be too hot to stay out here." I wasn't too far off. It has just be scorching all week. The same thing happened last year, except my vacation to St. Augustine was interrupted by a trip to Vegas. So I literally went out of the frying pan into the fire. I mean, it has only been 95 here and it was 115 in Vegas. They say what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas. That is probably because it gets burned off and stuck to the seats there.

The weird thing is that is seems to be a universal desire for people to head to these blazing hot climates for vacation. They want to go on cruises into the Tropics and Caribbean. They head to the rain forest. Phoenix and Vegas and L.A. and Orlando are hot spot destinations. The ironic thing is that we talk about heading to all these other planets to colonize them. Doesn't NASA realize these other planets are cold? No one will ever go. NASA would be better off setting up camp on the 700 degree Venus or on the face of the sun. People would probably flock to the transport vehicles for those assignments.

Me? I prefer a place for vacation where I can look around without fear of dying or melting. When I go down historic St. George Street in downtown St. Augustine, I can't help but think about how many minutes I can survive before giving in to heat stroke. There is a giant monument in the center of town to those who lost their lives. I thought it was a nice touch to honor all those tourists who vaporized in the Florida sun. Oh well, I must go get ready to go shopping - and I need to slather on my SPF 150 sunscreen and hook up my IV. Hope I make it back.

No comments: